“Pana’ewa Rainforest Zoo Animals”
• Any child in a Hawai’i Island Public School, Grades 1-3.
All work must be created by the student. The entry must be conceptualized, developed, and completed by the student. If a parent or teacher has any doubt about the originality of the piece, it should not be submitted. Plagiarism will result in disqualification.
Guidelines for Artwork
- Artwork should be two dimensional.
- Maximum entry size is 11.0 inches by 8.5 inches on art paper. FOZ will do mounting.
- Original artwork (no computer graphics, photographs, 3-D objects) by a single individual only (no collaborative work).
- Drawings should focus on Pana’ewa Zoo Animals in their environment.
- Entries must be submitted flat, do not roll or fold.
- Each student may submit one piece of artwork, in any of the following media:
- Drawing: Colored or graphite pencil, ink, crayon, marker. (No chalk, charcoal, or oil-based crayon)
- Painting: Tempera paint
Images traced with the use of a projector or other mechanical means are prohibited.
Preparing Artwork for Entry
- Students’ artwork should first be submitted to the school art teacher for pre- judging, and only the resulting selections are submitted for final judging by a panel of local artists chosen by the zoo.
- Each public school may submit a maximum of 3 entries per grade.
The artwork submitted to the Friends of the Pana’ewa Zoo Art Contest is grouped and judged in the following Divisions.
Division I: Grade 1 Division II: Grade 2 Division III: Grade 3
There is no entry fee for the Student Art Contest.
Entry Forms must be submitted for every piece of artwork that will be submitted for final
All entrants must accurately complete the contest entry forms and submit with the artwork. For each entry, please submit:
- Two (2) copies of the completed Entry Form
- The first copy of the entry form, along with the signed waiver form for each piece of art submitted should be mailed to:
Friends of the Pana’ewa Zoo
Attention: Art Contest
P.O. Box 738
Keaau, HI 96749
- Last day to submit entry form is October 15, 2022.
- Second copy of the Entry Form should be affixed to the back of the artwork.
Submitting the art
The artwork should be submitted via Intra-departmental envelopes. FOZ representative, Joy Katada, will pick up at the Hilo DOE District Office.
Artwork will be accepted between October 15th and December 15th, 2022. There will be no exceptions for late entries.
There will be a first, second and third prize for each division. Prizes will be Friends of the Zoo gift cards, in the amount of $75, $50, and $25 respectively.